On Thursday 4th May 2017, there will be elections in Gloucestershire for County Councillors. There are 53 places on the council where elections are being contested. You can find out who is standing for Gloucestershire County Council where you live on the council's website.
While Stroud Against the Cuts could ask many questions of councillors, we have chosen to focus on one of our core areas of campaigning: the NHS (and Social Care).
We are sending the following questions to all candidates and will publicise the results on this website.
In the meantime, you may like to ask candidates who appear at your doorstep or put leaflets through your door these questions. If you receive answers in writing, please send them on to us via
- Do you support the Sustainability and Transformation Plan for NHS Gloucestershire and if (re-)elected what will you to support/improve/oppose its implementation?
- Do you believe the private sector (including Third Sector) has any role in services traditionally provided by the NHS or GP practices, or in loaning or providing capital? If not, what will you do if (re-)elected to: a) prevent further privatisation of services, b) get non-emergency ambulances, community hospital pharmacies and Out of Hours services back into the NHS, c) prevent the use of PFI in Gloucestershire's NHS?
- Do you believe that health and social care in Gloucestershire have the funds they need? If (re-)elected, what will you do about funding of these services?
- Where integration of NHS and Social Care provision is proposed, will you work to: a) ensure any service previously provided to all remains so and that there is no extension of means-testing, b) oppose any homogenisation of staff employment that reduces terms and conditions?
- Will you work with NHS campaigners in Gloucestershire to prevent closures or privatisation of services traditionally provided by the NHS or GP practices, and to oppose cuts and changes that will have negative impacts on patients?